Give me chocolate, give me orange and give me nuts (I sound like Veruca Salt!). Combine those ingredients together and well, you may just make my day – especially if you tell me (or I tell you, rather) that you can do so without any refined sugar, gluten or cow’s dairy and can make yourself some pretty supreme energy bites at the same time! Supreme-snack me up I say – and these simple Chocolate Orange Energy Bites will do just nicely!
The more I talk to people about how they are getting on with my cleanse/detox/general health plans, the more I hear that the one thing that they struggle with, is finding ideas and recipes for quick, easy and healthy snacks. Something that they can take with them to work or just grab from the fridge when the blood sugar is low, boredom levels high or when the mind begins wandering. We all have our HobNobs-fantasising moments.
As I have said before, snacking is so important when you are embarking on a healthy-eating regime. So blitz up a tray of these and snack away in blissful knowledge that you are actually filling yourself with vitamin- and mineral-infused goodness – so long, HobNobs!
- 80g brazil nuts
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 120g dates (I just use regular dates rather than medjool dates)
- 1 tablespoon of hazelnut butter
- Zest of ½ an orange
- 1 tablespoon of heaped cacao powder
- Generous pinch of salt
- 20g desiccated coconut
- Toast the Brazil nuts gently in a pan over a medium heat to release those nutty flavours.
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a separate pan over a medium heat.
- Once the Brazil nuts are nice and toasty, place them in a food processor with the dates and pulse until they are quite finely chopped but retain a rough texture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blitz until thoroughly blended and you can squeeze the mixture together into a ball in your hand.
- Line a baking tray with parchment and press the mixture into so that it makes a slab about 2.5cm thick. Refrigerate for about two hours to allow it to set. Cut into little squares and keep in your fridge to enjoy as the perfect pick me up snack.
So if you are keen to snack your way healthy, have a go at making these… or, alternatively, check out my COOKIES | TREATS section for some more ideas. Happy snacking!